2/25/2008

Photos (finally)

Finally, I got the incentive to post some photos of the fire. (doing this at school during photography class... it still has to do with pictures, right? ^^") This is what the house did look like right after the fire had been put out.
First up, the general view of the outside. The roof caught fire, so that's why that's gone.
A bit closer. This is while the firefighters were still putting the fire out. It was pretty damn windy that day so the fire kept going, and to make it worse, the valves on the fire hoses kept freezing up. It's gotta be kind of disheartening to be about to shoot a blast of water at a raging fire... but the water doesn't come out. What a bitch.
This is the breezeway doorway that leads into the house from the garage. It was mostly untouched, other than the ashes that got washed into it. No fire here. The room beyond it, though, is the old kitchen. It's the old kitchen because that used to be where it was before we moved the house and knocked down a few walls to make a bigger, more accessible kitchen for mum. That got blazed.
Some library books mum had just checked out. They got mostly just hosed by the fire hoses, thus the icicles. Not sure why they're yellow, but I'm thinking some of the varnish on the china cabinet they sat on got into the water. Don't know though for sure.
I'm not sure what room this is. I think it might be my bathroom, but I can't really tell. My bathroom had a window in it next to the sink... Whatever room this is, it got blasted too.
Finally, my room. This is the view from the doorway, which basically shows everything. The big heap in the corner is where my wardrobe was, and the whole thing is covered by the attic, which fell down onto it. To the right you would see (if it were a wider picture) where my desk was, which would have looked like just a pile of charred planks. I had a small TV next to my wardrobe, to the right of it. I asked about that when they were going through my room. They found no trace of it, or my GameCube. None of my mattress was left of course, nor my drawings. (I later found a few, but they were only things I had printed out from the computer. Those I can make over again.) The wall is hacked out to the left (north wall) from the firefighters beating it open with axes and sledgehammers. There was another window there, too.
So... That's my house. Below is what it used to look like.

No comments: